A railway system began to be developed in the 19th century, initially horse-drawn and at 1067mm / 3ft 6in gauge. The first steam locomotive at this gauge was delivered in 1865. A narrow-gauge (457mm / 18 inch) network was also developed, with its first steam locomotive being acquired in 1871. A standard-gauge (1435 mm / 4ft 8½ in) branch line connecting the dockyard system to the London, Chatham and Dover Railway Company main line at Gillingham was opened in 1877. The standard gauge network within the Dockyard began to be developed from this time, and the first standard gauge steam locomotive was delivered in 1888.
The narrow gauge network started to become obsolete at around the end of the First World War, and from then railway operations began to be concentrated on the standard gauge network. Narrow gauge operations ceased in the 1930s. At its peak, it was estimated that there were 17 miles of standard gauge railway. The Royal Naval Dockyard closed in 1984, and today there is less than 1 mile remaining within the Historic Dockyard.
Further information about the history of the railway system in the Dockyard, its equipment and past engines can be found on our volunteer run website or in the Chatham Dockyard Historical Society’s Research Paper No.43 ‘A Brief History of Chatham Dockyard’s Railway System’ which can be found in the Reading Room or purchased from the Steam, Steel & Submarines gallery.
This remaining section, which is mainly laid tramway-style, starts from a point just outside The Historic Dockyard, adjacent to No.7 Slip, and then runs through the middle of the Dockyard to the far end of Anchor Wharf. It is now used for running demonstration freight trains, steam crane operations and other ancillary railway operations.
The railway network within The Historic Dockyard is operated entirely by the volunteers of the Railway Volunteer Group and supported by staff of Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust.
We run two Diesel Locomotives (Overlord and Rochester Castle) and two Steam Locomotives (Ajax and Invicta). Train operations take place during our big events and over a 10-12 weekends a year.
Find out about our next Railway Day on our What’s On page.
The railway within The Historic Dockyard Chatham is unlike any other heritage railway operation elsewhere in the UK – in terms of its operating characteristics and in terms of its organisational structure. There is no Club or Association to join, no membership fees to pay, or any commercial issues to manage.
The role of the railway volunteer is to operate and help maintain the railway and its equipment as directed by the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust.
Find out more about Volunteering for Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust.
This locomotive was one of 20 locomotives ordered by the Ministry of Defence in 1941. This small diesel locomotive was designed and built by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co.Ltd. at their Kilmarnock Works. Originally she was sent to Longmore to prepare for the invasion of Europe following D-Day. She was shipped to Cherburg, France from Southampton for use in the war effort. Arriving in Sep 1944, she and her two sisters were put into service with the 102nd Transportation Stores Depot at Bayeux Depot. After a year she was moved to Ghent and renumbered to WD 70042.
The loco returned home in 1946 and her number was changed to WD 823. In February 1951 she was sent out to the Middle East with 5 other locomotives. Returning only a year later to Bicester Central Ordinance Depot, becoming WD 859. Soon she had travelled all around the UK serving the MOD at the following sites: Bicester Workshops Arncott, Royal Ordinance Factory Featherstone, Royal Ordinance Factory Ruddington, Technical Store Sinfin Lane, Bicester Workshops Arncott, Ordinance Storage and Disposal Depot Branston, Command Engineer Park Hessay and lastly Central Ammunitions Depot Cumbria.
In October 1992, ARMY 202 as she had renumbered, was restored to her original identity of WD 70042 and named ‘Overlord’ as part of the 50th Anniversary of the D-Day Landings in France. In commemoration she also received a bell which is ‘dedicated to allied Railway men who gave their lives for the liberation of Europe’.
Today she is owed by the Royal Engineers’ Museum and soon brought back into use and cared for by Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust.
During Admiralty ownership, the loco carried the Yard No of 361.
‘Ajax’ was kept in working order and used until the closure of the Dockyard in 1984. After the Dockyard closed, “Ajax” was placed in secure storage until the opening of The Historic Dockyard in 1985.
In December 1986 the locomotive was withdrawn from service for its first 10 year boiler overhaul in preservation. At the end of its 10 year boiler certificate in December 1996, the locomotive was withdrawn from service and placed in store until 1999, when its second major overhaul began, with the locomotive returning to service in 2001.
The locomotive was taken out of service from end of October 2011 to be completely stripped down for its third major overhaul, details of which can be found via the Locomotive Engineering pages.
It is now back in service and running beautifully.
‘Rochester Castle’ is a diesel locomotive which was built by F.C.Hibberd & Co.Ltd. and delivered new to Chatham. She was the first of 6 diesel locomotives ordered by the Admiralty to replace their ageing steam locomotives.
It worked at Chatham until the closure of the dockyard in 1984. After the closure, the locomotive was placed in secure storage until the opening of The Historic Dockyard in 1985. The locomotive is still kept in working order and can be seen working within The Historic Dockyard.
During Admiralty ownership, the loco carried the Yard No. 562.
This steam locomotive was built by Andrew Barcley, Sons & Co.Ltd and delivered new to Chatham Dockyard. The loco worked at Chatham until it was sold to the Severn Valley Railway in 1972. After a spell at the Severn Valley Railway, it moved firstly to the Chasewater Railway and then to Long Marston. In late 2009, the locomotive returned to Chatham and is being restored to working order.
It is believed this loco also held the name “Storm King”.
“THALIA” was built by Drewry/Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns in 1954. The locomotive was supplied new to William Cory & Sons Ltd. where it was named after one of the three Graces in Greek mythology. The locomotive was painted black with Cory’s standard logo on each side. The locomotive worked all its working life in Cory’s sidings, which were located adjacent to Blue Boar Wharf, Rochester, Kent.
By 1983 the locomotive stood disused in one of the sidings next to Cory’s offices. In 1985 the locomotive was purchased by a member of the North Downs Railway Society and the locomotive was moved to The Historic Dockyard Chatham, where the North Downs Railway Society operated the internal railway on behalf of Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust. Upon its arrival at the Historic Dockyard, the locomotive was used to operate demonstration freight trains.
After a period of operation, it was decided to undertake an extensive refit of the locomotive and it was moved into No.3 covered slip and stripped down. The locomotive was still in this condition when the North Downs Railway Society left the Historic Dockyard in 1987. At this time, the locomotive was sold and the new owner restored the locomotive to working order, repainting it green.
The locomotive is kept in working order and can been seen working within the Historic Dockyard.
The cranes were built by Grafton Cranes Ltd at their Vulcan Works in Bedford, and were delivered to the Dockyard in the 1930s and 1940s.
The cranes run on a six wheeled carriage, with a coal fired boiler and were designed to work on a pressure of 100psi.
The 30ft worm-driven jib is driven from the 2-cylinder main engine and is fitted with a single hoist rope, which has a lifting capacity of 5 tons at 24 feet or 3 tons at 30 feet.
There are four ex-dockyard steam cranes on the Historic Dockyard Railway, these are:
With thanks to Chatham Dockyard Railway Volunteers Dave Lovering, Neal Short and Andy Veitch.
Delve a bit deeper into what’s involved in caring for a historic railway.