Two teams of the Historic Dockyard’s volunteers are combining forces to completely overhaul one of its 65 year-old diesel locomotives – Rochester Castle.
Rochester Castle was one of six new diesel locomotives ordered by the Admiralty in the 1950s to replace the dockyard’s ageing steam locomotive fleet.
All six diesels were built by F.C.Hibberd & Co.Ltd at their Park Royal Works in West London and delivered in 1955. In keeping with tradition, each was named after a Kentish castle – number 3738 Rochester Castle being the sole survivor still based at the historic dockyard.
The locomotive is now undergoing a long-awaited major overhaul of engine, powertrain and body.
Unusually, the Rochester Castle is powered by a six litre Foden two-stroke diesel engine – lighter and more powerful than many equivalent four-stroke diesel engines – and more normally used in road haulage or marine applications.