We are offering you the chance to get nostalgic with our annual event: Salute to the 40’s this weekend.
This is the festival for everyone to experience from grandparents to the little ones! It is also known as: “One of the Britain’s Best Vintage Festivals” – as previously stated by the Daily Telegraph! Read below on what’s in store and see some fun fashion facts about the ’40s to help you decide on what to wear!
What’s in store for you?
Look out for our VINTALICIOUS performances to keep you entertained all day along with The Glenn Miller Orchestra . Glenn Miller and his orchestra were formed in 1938’s and back in big band era of 1940’s, the Glenn Miller’s sound had distinctive tune which you will experience live at the festival. Have a listen to some of their popular tunes here!
The Hotsie Totsies – one of our new acts for 2017! And if you love to learn a bit of dancing, there are dance workshops available to take part in – don’t hesitate to put on your dancing shoes!
Did you know? …part of our site is even transformed to a 1940’s street! Have your photo taken with this great backdrop and immerse yourself among the re-enactments entertaining you throughout the day, have a retro shopping experience, watch our coming home parade with civilian vintage vehicles, and so much more!
- Find out what it was like to be in an air raid evacuation, during an attack in WW2 – meeting point at HMS Cavalier compound.
- The Daily Telegraph described this event as “One of the Britain’s best vintage festivals”
- The Glenn Miller Orchestra UK are here!
- A chance to become Mr. and Miss. Chatham by entering into best dressed competition – the media team will be scouting people throughout the day!
- You can get the full look of 40’s by vintage barbers and salon facilities at the festival
- Coming home vehicle parade starts at 15.30 and the parade of Vintage Fashion at 15.50!
- If you don’t fancy any of these; sit back and relax your day with pint of beer from our pub and enjoy our Ploughman’s or traditional fish and chips!
Facts about 1940’s
Fashion and trends of 1940’s to help you decide on what to wear!
The 1940’s were brilliant decade for fashion and style including wide padded shoulders, high waist tops and A-line skirts down to the knee. Despite the hardships of World War 2, the women embraced more colourful patterns from florals to polka dots.
The Rayon and Silk fabrics were trendy back in days which gained its popularity amongst the women. Both fabrics were seen very expensive in the market amongst other fabrics such as, Wool, Cotton, Velvet, Net and many more. Plaid skirts/jumpers or pinafore dresses were also seems to be part of wardrobe amongst teenage girls and women.
Sheer Afternoon Dresses
Other trademarks of the 1940’s were hats and gloves. Did you know that hats and gloves were not used for practical purposes?. Instead they were worn for decorative piece. They were usually worn for semi-formal occasions, shopping, visiting friends or going to lunch.
Women’s jewellery was as important as wearing hats and gloves; Large floral brooches and chunky earrings with colourful necklaces were very trending in 1940s.